If any of the following are important aspects of your business, we recommend the PC-based solution, POS:
Connectable devices, accessories
The PC-based cash register can be easily expanded with accessories:
- electronic shelf label
- vending machines (e.g. bottle changers, snacks, coffee, drinks, etc.)
- cash register with camera
- loyalty kiosk terminal (IBM Anyplace Kiosk, Zebra Card printer, loyalty card)
- self – service payment terminals
- access control systems
Small cash register, on the other hand, cannot be expanded with such tools and accessories.
Accurate item identification in the system and receipt
With a PC-based cash register, sales are made with accurate item identification, and the items sold are displayed item by item in both the system and the receipt.
With ECR cash register, on the other hand, goods can be sold only with “collector 1”, “collector 2”, etc. and with VAT identification, and only these appear on the receipt.
Touch screen and full keyboard
For a PC-based cash register, we have either a touch screen with a full-fledged virtual keyboard, or we can use a traditional computer keyboard, so we can type in data easily and quickly.
ECR cash registers do not have a touch screen, no external keyboard can be connected to them, and only mini buttons are available. The small cash register does not have a full keyboard, so the letter “c” can be entered, for example, by pressing the corresponding key three times.
Central management of several cash registers and / or shops
With PC-based cash registers, processes can also be coordinated centrally on the store network level.
The same is not possible with the use of the small ECR cash registers.
Check traffic data
Using a PC-based cash register, we can look at financial results anytime, anywhere, whether we are interested in a shift, a store or an entire store network.
In the case of the small ECR cash register, on the other hand, we only receive traffic data at the receipt and collection level (must be processed with separate software), also only locally, after the end of the tax day.
Update product and partner information
With a PC-based cash register, product data (e.g., price, barcode), inventory movement information (e.g., outbound and delivery, warehousing, web sales), and partner data (e.g., customers, users, suppliers) can be updated at any time. The database is kept up to date by continuous synchronization and alerts the user to failed processes.
Only the PLU of the small ECR cash register can be loaded with product data, even when the tax day is just closed. The checkout does not provide feedback on whether the product data was uploaded successfully.
Inventory management function
Using a PC-based cash register, you can extract the exact inventory value per product, product group, supplier or brand at any time. In the case of store chains, each store can view each other’s inventory.
The small ECR cash register, on the other hand, is not suitable for inventory management. It only allows us to extract from the traffic data what we have sold according to the given receipt after the daily tax closure. Although there are additional monitoring software (reading apps) for this, we can already make a mistake with them if we have sold a product that does not exist in one of the programs or may be listed incorrectly.
Issuance of a simplified invoice
The minimum requirement can only be met by separate printer PC-based solutions.
The 60 millimeter thermal paper of the ECR cash register does not allow the issuance of a “Simplified Invoice” as the minimum requirement is 80 millimeters!
The following functions are only available in the PC-based cash register solution:
- stores all operations per user so that all activities can be retrieved,
- you can give different permissions to users, the functions can be linked to users,
- language settings of the additional functions can be linked to the user,
- for inventory and money transactions, you can enter individual items,
- you can see the content of the transaction basket, the unique characteristics of the product, the “flags” (e.g. individual special offer product, stock release product, web shop sales, etc.)
- contents of the basket can be freely edited until closing: you can delete a product, change the quantity, add a discount, change the unit price, etc.,
- started shopping cart can be set aside (receipt parking), other customers can be served until then,
- validity of coupons and vouchers can be queried with it and stored as redeemed,
- allows mixed payment in any combination and order (cash, currencies, vouchers, credit card, etc.)
- data of the partners requesting the invoice can be saved, so they can be selected from a list later (no need to enter the data again),
- all parameters of the product identified by scanning the barcode can be viewed, e.g. the current stock of the given product, size, assortment, etc.,
- in case of returns, quantitative and amount monitoring of the content of the original transaction, thus avoiding fraud, overpayments, etc.
- when cancelling, thanks to the “receipt invoice” function, it is sufficient to scan the barcode of the original receipt and enter the customer data – then the system automatically cancels and issues the receipt,
- with the account correction function we can change the required customer data,
- nominator can be set for reckoning,
- sounds if you exceed the cash drawer limit (automatic skim notification),
- information messages can be displayed from the superior system on each cash register,
- shortcut catalogue screens can be placed on the surface, with text, product image.
- fast invoicing
- real-time query of revenues and stocks
- independent management and identification of shifts and cashiers
Segment-dependent, but the most common is compliance with the protocol of bank card terminals and their service providers. Using a PC-based cash register, the cashier does not even have to access the terminal, the machine sends the data, processes the return message and accepts the transaction.
Web service solutions
The PC-based cash register is capable of online data connection, therefore e.g. ideal for running a webshop or operating a discount system.
With the ECR cash register, we have to keep everything on a separate machine, and we have to combine the stocks and the products sold at a discount with the traffic data. Not only is this cumbersome, but there’s plenty of place for error if you have to type everything in in multiple places.
Connectivity to corporate governance systems
We can connect PC-based cash registers with corporate governance systems (ERP).
ECR cash registers are not suitable for this.